You know that little voice in your head? Although it serves a purpose our self-talk can also be very deceptive. Here are 5 lies we tell ourselves that aren’t true, even if that little voice says so.
- You can’t do that! You can’t go to the beach with your friends because you can’t be seen in a swimsuit. You can’t ever be an entrepreneur because you aren’t talented enough. There are some obvious “can’ts” in life, can we agree? You can’t jump off a building an expect to live, you can’t become a millionaire by tomorrow. That being said, you CAN do almost anything you put your mind to. Hate you job? Create an end goal and write down all the steps you need to get there…then start at step one. You don’t feel comfortable in your body ? Why? Is it really just that you would be happier if you lost 5 pounds or is it something deeper? Start the journey to figure it out. Think you aren’t talented enough? What are you passionate about? How can you improve your skill? Again, start at step one and keep climbing until you reach your goal.
- All attention is good attention! Wrong. Realistically we know that this isn’t true but some of us (actually , a lot of us) don’t practice what we preach. Having a crowd cheer you on in a Wet T-shirt Contest…probably not great attention. Having sex with a bunch of different guys because it makes you feel wanted…probably not good attention. We often seek out attention when we feel insecure, unwanted, unloved. While affirmation is important in life, just make sure you are doing what YOU feel good about not just what gives you the most attention.
- I can’t do anything about my anxiety/depression. So maybe people think that they are just stuck. I’m not saying your anxiety and depression can be cured but it can be helped. Therapy, diet , reading, meditation. There are 101 things that you can do to improve your mental health. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE STUCK AND CONTROLLED BY YOUR MENTAL HEALTH.
- You will never love again. That bad breakup. You know the one that left you crying , curled up on your bathroom floor for six months? You will get over that. It will be a really good lesson and you will love again. Whether that takes a year, 10 years, 25 years. It will happen. That pain won’t last forever, I promise.
- Everyone else is the problem. Do you always have bad relationships at work, school or home? Do you often leave relationships and jobs feeling angry and bitter because of coworkers. This is a tough pill to swallow but…maybe it’s not them. Maybe it’s you. We spend a lot of time dodging our “blind spots” in life. Maybe you don’t even realize that you are really abrasive or that you tell little white lies all too often. Maybe you don’t understand that you are inconsiderate. If you are feeling like everyone around you is the problem, go try and figure out your blind spots. Distancing yourself