Ahhh, macros. I could just go on eating Paleo but I have recently found a love for health / Paleo podcasts. Many of those speak about macros and micro-nutrients. Eating clean is the most important thing but eating the right clean food can be even better!
Many people use macros for a specific goal but honestly , I just want to play around with them to see what I feel the best eating / what amount. Food and nutrition is complex yet so simple, too. I know that might make no sense to some of you but the deeper you dive in to your health I really think you will start to understand what I mean.
Anyway, macros. I tested out my macros by eating what I would just normally eat. I was really low on protein but pretty good on everything else. So what could I have that has protein and some healthy fat……
When I was listening to the 100th episode of the Wellness Realness podcast by Christina Rice ( find it here ) I heard Max Lugavere talk about how amazing avocados were for you / your brain. Go listen to it because not only does that podcast/episode have great advice but Christina is doing an EPIC giveaway and the instructions are on that episode. You’re welcome. Okay, so I already knew they were awesome for you but I have never really loved them. Max mentioned that he strives to eat 1/2-1 avocado per day and I was like wow, goals. So here I am eating avocado (without turning it in to guacamole and dipping chips in it). Avocados have a ton of great stuff but they also fit really well in to my macros and filling in the nutritional gaps I have been having.
Long story short, I am going to eat more avocados and here is just one awesome recipe that is about as simple as you can get while also being a blank canvas for awesome customization to make it the best breakfast, snack or whatever…ever. Enjoy!
Also- I am really sorry about all the poor food photography. I see some bloggers who have the most beautiful food and lighting. Right now I cook in my tiny kitchen and use my kitchen light because I am never cooking during the day to take advantage of the natural light. Oops- maybe I will get the hang of food photography some day.
Easy Peasy Avocado Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon
Greek Yogurt (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon
Habanero hot sauce (or preferred sauce)
- Preheat oven to 425
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit
- Use spoon to make hole left by the pit a little bit larger (large enough to fit your egg in there)
- Crack egg in to the avocado hole
- Add toppings like bacon and cheese now if desired
- Place avocados in muffin tin to prevent them from tipping over in oven
- Cook for 12 minutes (add a few minutes if you like your egg harder)
- Remove from oven and top with hot sauce + Greek yogurt or whatever other toppings you would like. You can keep it simple or get really crazy with your flavors. That is the fun part about this recipe!
- Enjoy hot, also great reheated in the microwave for 30-45 seconds